Crumble Apple Pie is a delicious and easy pie that everyone absolutely raves over. A tender flaky crust filled with sweet juicy cinnamon kissed apples that are all topped with a delicious crumb topping.
This is the perfect crumble apple pie to serve after any meal. It is one of my favorite desserts because crumble toppings are my favorite OF ALL. A Winner!!
The combination of flavors and temperatures when served with iced cream catches my soul every time. This recipe is a MUST.
In my opinion, Apple pie knows no seasons and I will give you 4 big reasons why you should do this dessert:
√ It has a buttery, flaky crust.
√ It has a rich apple filling that’s juicy, intense, sweet, and cinnamon-spiced.
√ It’s topped with a brown-sugar buttery. After baked it will explode in your mouth.
√ It’s the perfect spot for vanilla ice cream.
ABOUT THE FILLING
You can play around and change ingredients on the filling. You can replace apple for pears, a combinations of fruits like: Plums, apples and pears or a selection of berries. The secret is to always make the filling juicy. If your fruit didn’t release water, add a little bit when cooking. Remember: DON’T OVER COOK! IT’S JUST TO WARM THE FILLING A BIT AND ALLOW THE SUGAR TO MELT AND THE FRUITS TO RELEASE A BIT OF WATER.
ABOUT THE CRUST
Most pies begin at a higher oven temperature. Putting a pie into a very, very hot oven helps the crust brown. After 10 minutes or so, reduce the temperature. This helps allow the pie’s filling to cook thoroughly before the crust burns. Cool, huh? And your crust will be so crispy and yummy!!
ABOUT THE CRUMBLE
The crumble topping is a bunch of ordinary ingredients like brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter that, when combined, make something extraordinary. The whole truly is greater than the sum of its parts.
Baking = chemistry
CRUMBLE APPLE PIEDifficulty: Easy
- Dough Ingredients
100 g butter (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cup of flour (220g)
1/3 cup of sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp of baking powder
- Crumble Ingredients
1 cup of flour (150g)
1/2 cup muscavado sugar (100g)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (100g)
- Filling Ingredients
Lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 cup muscavado sugar (50g)
1/4 tsp of cinnamon (3g)
3 tbsp flour (27g)
- Dough directions
- Prepare your Mice en Place
- Crumble together: Flour, sugar and butter
- Add the baking powder
- Add the egg + egg yolk
- Combine until you have a smooth dough. DON’T OVER MIX!
- Crumble directions
- Prepare your Mice en Place
- Mix all ingredients
- You want a crumble mixture. DON’T OVER MIX! P.S. Use diced cold butter
- Filling directions
- Squeeze the lemon into a bowl full of water. This will make the water acidic and will prevent your apple from going brown.
- Peal your apple and cut into small squares and place inside of the water bowl.
- Final directions
- Choose a tray for your pie
- Open the dough and line the tray with it
- Place in the fridge and let it cool for 15 minutes
- Put the cold filling into the tray
- Display the crumble on top
- Bake at 190°C for around 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with icecream
- On this pie I also put raisins soaked in whisky. This is an extra step and if you want it you should start preparing it a day before starting your pie. In a big Jar put 500g of raisins and 200ml of a good whisky. Leave it over night and you will get amazing plumped raisins, super flavored to use in any recipe. For my apple pie recipe, I used 130g of this raisins for preparation.
- If you don’t have whisky or if you don’t want to use it. You can use Rum or any other strong drink of this family.